Find table below for the TDS (Tax Deduction at source) rates and threshold limits for financial year 2017-18 or assessment year 2018-19. In this table there is complete list of the payments on which TDS has to be deducted, threshold limit, assessee type (tax payer) and rate of TDS.
Also note; Threshold limit mentioned in the table below is the limit upto which no TDS will be deducted.
|Section of Act||Threshold (Rs)||Nature of Payment in brief||Rate %|
|Individual/HUF||Others||If No/Invalid PAN|
|192A||50000||Premature withdrawal of EPF w.e.f June 1, 2016 (initially it was for Rs. 30,000 w.e.f June 1, 2015)||10||30|
|193||5000||Interest on debentures||10||10||20|
|194||2500||Deemed dividend (Before making payment to shareholder, other than dividend declared U/s. 115-O)||10||10||20|
|194A||10000||Interest other than Int. on securities (by Bank)||10||10||20|
|194A||5000||Interest other than Int. on securities (By others)||10||10||2|
|194B||10000||Lottery / Cross Word Puzzle||30||30||30|
|194BB||10000||Winnings from Horse Race w.e.f June 1, 2016||30||30||30|
|194C||30000||Payment to Contractor for Single Transaction During the F.Y.||1||2||20|
|194C||100000||Payment to Contractor Aggregate During the F.Y.||1||2||20|
|194D||15000||Insurance Commission w.e.f June 1, 2016||5||5||20|
|194DA||100000||Payment in respect of life Insurance policy||1||1||20|
|194E||NA||Payment to Non-Resident Sportsmen or Sports Association||20||20||20|
|194EE||2500||Payments out of deposits under National Savings Scheme (NSS)||10||NA||20|
|194F||1000||Payment on account of Repurchase of units by MFs||20||20||20|
|194G||15000||Commission on sale of lottery tickets||5||5||20|
|194H||15000||Commission or Brokerage||5||5||20|
|194I||180000||Rent (Land & building)Â furniture & fittings)||10||10||20|
|180000||Rent (P & M , Equipment)||2||2||20|
|194IA||5000000||TDS on transfer of immovable property other than agriculture land||1||1||20|
|194IB||50000||TDS on personal Rent other than 194I (Threshold is for monthly rent payments)||5||5||20|
|194J||30000||Professional/Technical charges/ Royalty & Non-compete fees||10||10||20|
|30000||Person engaged only in business operation of Call Centre (introduced in budget 2017-18)||2||2||20|
|194J(1)(ba)||NA||Any remuneration or commission paid to director of the company||10||10||20|
|194LA||250000||Compensation on acquisition of immovable property||10||10||20|
|194LB||NA||Income by way of interest from infrastructure debt fund (non-resident/foreign company)||5||5||20|
|194LBC||NA||Income in respect of investment in securitisation trust w.e.f June 1, 2016||25||30||30|
|194LC||NA||Income by way of interest by an Indian specified company to a non-resident / foreign company on foreign currency approved loan / long-term infrastructure bonds from outside India||5||5||20|
|194LD||NA||Interest on certain bonds and govt. Securities||5||5||20|
|196B||NA||Income from units (including long-term capital gain on transfer of such units) to an offshore fund||10||10||20|
|196C||NA||Income from foreign currency bonds or GDR (including long-term capital gains on transfer of such bonds) (not being dividend)||10||10||20|
|196D||NA||Income of FIIs from securities||20||20||20|
- No Education Cess is not deductible/collectible at source in case of resident
- Individual/HUF/Firm/ AOP/ BOI/ Domestic Company in respect of payment of income other than salary.
- Education Cess at 2% plus secondary & Higher Education Cess at 1% is deductible at source in case of non-residents and foreign company.
- Person submitting form 15G/15H to avoid TDS needs to submit PAN else 20% TDS will be applicable.
- TDS at higher rate ie., 20% has to be deducted if the deductee does not provide PAN to the deductor.(read detail u/s 206AA)
- Surcharge on tax is not deductible/collectible at source in case of resident individual/ HUF /Firm/ AOP / BOI/Domestic Company in respect of payment of income other than salary.
- Surcharge on TDS on salary is applicable if taxable salary is more than one crore at 15 % & at 10% if salary between Rs. fifty lacs & one crore.
- Surcharge on TDS is applicable on payment made to non-resident other than company at 10% if income exceeds Rs. 50 lacs, but not above Rs. 1 Cr. 15% will be applicable for income exceeding Rs. 1Cr.
- Surcharge on TDS at 2% for non-resident company if income between Rs. 1 Cr & Rs. 10Crs. 5% will be for income exceeding Rs. 10Crs.
- No TDS on service Tax as referred in circular 01/2014 dated January 13, 2014 TDS is not applicable on service tax part if service tax is shown separately.