Form ITR – 2 should be used by an Individual or a HUF (Hindu Undivided Family) whose total Income for Assessment Year 2013-14 includes;
1. Income from Salary/pension; or
2. Income from House property; or
3. Income from Capital Gains; or
4. Income from other sources ( including winning from Lottery and Income from horse races)
In case where the Income of any other person (spouse/minor child, etc) is to be clubbed with the income of the assessee, this return form can be used where such income falls in any of the above categories.
Who cannot use the ITR – 2
1. ITR 2 is not used by the Individual/ HUF, if his/her total income includes any income taxable under the head of “Profit or Gain from Business or Profession, in other words, business or professional income does not form the part of ITR-2.
2. It should not be used by the person who is already using ITR – 1 Form.
3. A Partnership Firm having exempt income by way of shares (& not earning any income by way of interest, salary, etc) can not use ITR – 2.
Other Points to be noted
1. No Documents to be attached with the ITR
2. The form can be submitted to IT Department either manually or electronically (with or without digital signature).
You might want to read Who can use ITR – 1 ( SAHAJ ) for online return filing AY 2013-14